Monday, February 21, 2011

Eggplant Charm


I found myself falling fast in love with two different things Sunday as I prepped for last night's dinner and today's blog:  Mumford & Sons and The Eggplant.  I have been fans of both for about as long as I remember finding them, so this isn't a new love affair as much as it is rediscovering my affections for both.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the former, I encourage you to check them out, Mumford is in my opinion a pretty perfect balance of all things good and pure about songwriting and the sincerity of the emotions wrapped up in each song speaks to my heart with every note.

But plant your hope with good seeds
Don't cover yourself with thistle and weeds
Rain down, rain down on me
Look over your hills and be still
The sky above us shoots to kill
Rain down, rain down on me
But I will hold on
I will hold on hope


Now, when reacquainting myself with the latter, the Eggplant is chock full of surprises.  Native to India, the Purple Fruit is often referred to as "King of Vegetables" where it is loved for its versatile properties lending itself to almost any dish in a heavily vegetarian culture.  The Purple Pear, as it is also nicknamed, is a member of the Nightshade Family.  Other members of this family include some of my favorite things on earth such as:  

Datura (A beautiful flower that reminds me of an equally beautiful friend)

Belladonna (The most lovely named she-villain in Marvel comics as well as a disarming name for deadly)
      
Capsicum (think Red Hot Chili Pepper)

Petunias (who I think look like they are just peeping 'hello!' whenever I see a group of yellow ones). 


Berry Interesting
Surprisingly this large Fruit is technically classified as a Berry, and the variations of this berry are more numerous than most are aware of.  India and Asia have many different varieties, and prefer the smaller round types in Thai cooking.  Most North Americans are familiar with the large versions bearing names like, Dusky, Black Beauty, Classic, and Black Magic.  White and Green Eggplants can also be found in different areas of the globe and have been called names like Louisiana Long, Casper and Easter Egg.


Growing Giant
Pretty and Purple, this plant can be grown 2-5' tall with large lobed leaves that can grow 4-8" long and 2-4" wide.  Wild variations can grow even larger, reaching up to 7' tall!  If you wanted to grow your own Eggplant you should start seeds indoors 8-10 weeks before the last date for potential frost.  When choosing a fruit from the market, it should be firm and heavy if you press your finger into the skin it should not leave an indent.  Look for a bright green stem and smooth shiny skin texture.


Hearty & Healthy
Nutritionally, this oblong fella is a very good source of Fiber and Potassium weighing in at 3 grams of Fiber, 5 grams of Carbohydrates, and 5% of your daily recommended Potassium for every cup in a mere 20 calories!  The absence of calories, and the versatility this fruit has in any recipe is what makes it a Top Ten ingredient in Faith's Kitchen for sure!  Also referred to as Aubergine by the French, its health benefits are measured in far more than mere caloric content alone.  Phytonutrients, which act as Antioxidants are a big part of what this plant has to offer.  Nasunin is found to impact brain health by protecting cells found in brain tissue, while chlorogenic acid is being studied for its anti-cancer properties and ability to lower bad (LDL) cholesterol in laboratory testing.  The Black Magic variety is currently being studied by the US Department of Agriculture and has been recognized to have three times the antioxidants in other varieties.  One note to those folks suffering with arthritis, kidney or gall bladder problems, the Eggplant contains Solanine in small doses and should be avoided in large quantities.

So let's get to the fun with this fruit!  When Raw, eggplants are very spongy and bitter.  The spongy texture of the berry lends itself to hold a lot of water and when cooked, it becomes very complex, tender and also quite rich in flavor.  Popular dishes all over the world use eggplant, the French Ratatouille, Italian Parmigiana Di Melanzane (Eggplant Parmesan), Turkish Moussaka and Mid-Eastern Baba Ghanoush are all personal favorites of mine and will pop up in Faith's kitchen in late summer or early fall when the eggplant is especially in season.

Sunday Dinner to Monday's Lunch
I received a text from my good friend and fellow Whine, Wine & Dine expert, Heather.  I was happy to extend a session of good eats, drinks and some lamenting on the side as well as laughter for dessert.  I had been to the market earlier that day after a long run and a fantastic yoga class, and decided I wanted something hearty for dinner without sacrificing all the hard work I had done.  I decided some meaty grilled vegetables stacked on fresh baked, whole grain bread with a generous amount of hummus slathered on it sounded just fantastic!  I also picked up some baby spinach and Gorgonzola with designs for a yummy salad on the side beginning to form in my mind.  The inexplicably warm weather this week melted all traces of winter woes and I was in the mood for some lighter and more summery fare ... wishful thinking of course, that it might last a little longer.

So with a bag full of fresh produce, a good bottle of wine and an impromptu call from a friend, we were on our way to a fun and spontaneous night, and on a work night no less.


Hearty Veg & Hummus Stack
2 Large Portobello Mushroom Caps Sliced in Thick 1/2"
1-2 Yellow Squash Ends Removed, Sliced Lengthwise 1/4"
1 Large Eggplant (Classic variety) Sliced into 1/2" rounds
1 Large Poblano Pepper Sliced Lengthwise 1/2"
1 Loaf of fresh baked Whole Grain Bread
1 Container of your Favorite Organic Hummus (or 1 Cup fresh made)
1 Lemon Wedge
2 Tbsp Capers





Faith's Favorite Spinach Salad
3-4 Cups Baby Spinach Leaves
1/3 Cup Jarred Harvard Beets or fresh made, Diced
1/4 Cup Crumbled Gorgonzola or your favorite version of blue cheese
1/4 Cup Crushed Walnuts
Sweet Beet Dressing (can also purchase your favorite raspberry or red wine vinaigrette)
1/8 Cup Juice from Beets
1/8 Cup Red Wine or Raspberry Vinegar
Juice from 1/4 Lemon



I have to thank my bestie's mom and lovely lady Pat for giving me the tip to soak the eggplant before cooking, I took that and researched further to find that a good prep step for eggplant is to 'sweat' them after slicing.  Cover with Salt and let sit which will remove excess water and help take out more of the bitter flavors, then soak the slices in water for at least 10-20 minutes and rinse salt off before cooking.


I used very minimal oil, since I decided I didn't need the added calories in my uber healthy dinner design.
I also kept a cup of water by the stove top at all times and added when the pan became too dry.  I have a really handy grill pan which is perfect for grilling veggies, and making paninis as well!  Instead of heating the oil on the pan, I knew I would be cooking a large amount of vegetables so I simply took a brush and very lightly coated the eggplant, squash, and mushrooms (less than 2Tbsp total). 


Grilling Veggies
(can do on outdoor grill as well, will simply need to coat all veggies and use cooking spray)
Heat pan on high heat and add 1/4 Cup water, it should steam when it hits the pan.
Water will steam and evaporate quickly

 Add Eggplant slices and cook for about 7 minutes adding water when necessary and checking for tenderness.  Turn and repeat for another 7 minutes.  I had to do in 2 batches for the amount of eggplant I was making.  

Next, set eggplant aside and continue method with Yellow Squash.  You will need only approximately 4 minutes per side with the squash.  Add Poblano Peppers (skin side down) and do the same, you can do simultaneously with squash if there is room in your pan.  Remember, to continue to add water as needed to keep the vegetables from burning.  Set aside finished vegetables, add Mushrooms and continue method needing 4-5 minutes per side for these as well.

Green Goodness
Toss Spinach, Diced Beets, Gorgonzola and Walnuts in bowl.  Whisk together liquid from beets, lemon, and vinegar, add salt or pepper to taste and drizzle over simple salad.

Chic Chow
Instead of equally and evenly distributing stackable sandwiches, I decided to plate everything Tapas style and let us build our own stacks.  This turned out to be an absolutely perfect way to dish while we dished!

Thanks Joe the "Captain" for the lovely serving set!

I arranged the grilled veggies together with the hummus spread, and sprinkled with Capers and a good squeeze from the Lemon wedge.  We gabbed and stacked our veggies for a Meaty Meatless Sandwich loaded with flavor and texture!


The grilled vegetables leftover kept well today for lunch, and the fiber content really leaves you feeling full on very few calories !

No comments:

Post a Comment