Thursday, March 31, 2011

Get some meat on them bones!


There are no shortcuts to greatness.  I believe this with every fiber in my being.  Greatness, success, happiness, evolution these terms are all used in a general way to pinpoint when we have ‘arrived’. 

One’s ‘Ah-ha’ moment, as Oprah refers to it, is not something one stumbles upon by happenstance (though it can often feel that way when it does), or by cutting corners, mimicry or cheating your way to the end result.  I truly believe that this isn’t even something one can plan for in the traditional sense of the word.  This, of course, goes against every generic inspirational poster I’ve seen in a school or an office that clearly encourages a strict plan of action leading you to the finish line.  I do prefer a different breed of motivational poster to be honest.



The question is : Who’s plan?  Your parents?  Peers?  A marketing ploy?  The educational system’s?  A Love interest?  Are you following the direction of the plan or path that is in fact, yours?  That is the key. 


Let’s take the task of creating a truly great dinner and apply the same methodology to life in general.  How can we best attain Greatness in this?

For starters, the journey begins with a question:  What do I want for dinner?  I find if I get too specific when I first start, I limit myself to some really wonderful opportunities and experiences at creating and enjoying a truly great meal.  If I clear my mind the answer to that question is always very simple and similar:  I want something enjoyable (delicious), good for me (nutritious), stimulating (something new), and balanced (challenging but not daunting).  Are these questions very different than the one’s we could ask ourselves about life?  Are the answers very different?

Next, I have to asses my Needs, What do I need to accomplish this Great Meal?  I need to find the source for the ingredients, I need the direction or instruction to know how to prepare them, I need a safe place to create, and I need the time to allow myself to complete each step as well as the time to enjoy it myself, and share this experience with the loves in my life.  Each meal may have very different needs, from time to skill to resources; taking inventory to really know those needs will ensure you are enjoying each step along the journey.  If your time, patience or budget won’t allow for Duck L’Orange, then trying to cram it into your life is going to prove disappointing for certain.  So, your needs will change your wants as the two should flow seamlessly into one another.

Once you have taken these first two steps, the next is keeping yourself focused on the point of greatness, which is ultimately to enjoy the experience as a whole and learn something in the process, and share this with those near and dear to our hearts.   That being said let me share with you an example of a recent “great meal” shared at my table.
With recent additions to my schedule, increased workouts, gearing up for the upcoming semester, and travel beginning to pick up at my workplace paired with the recent construction starting up at home, dinner has been a rather relative term the last few weeks.  I found myself eating steamed broccoli, or some popcorn when at home long enough to eat there, and was unpleasantly surprised at just how frequently I found myself eating out over the last week especially.  I decided I wanted to take a night at home and cook a real and hearty meal.  I’ve been steering ever so much more meatless of late, and I thought about how long it really has been since I even purchased meat or poultry and I was shocked to tally in my head that we are coming up on about 2 months!

“I’m sure Faith’s kitchen fans are not all veggies, I really want to get some meat on them bones!” I heard myself say to well, myself.  I decided on chicken and that I had the time to venture to the butcher and get myself some free range chicken for this meal.  I wanted something hearty, and I really wanted to share a meal with my husband that we would both thoroughly enjoy as a gesture of thanks for getting the work started on my office and studio upstairs with the help of my cousin.  Between the two of them, the work has been nonstop this week and I really am excited to have a complete space to create and learn and just be me.  I wanted to express gratitude for that!  I wanted that home-cookin’ flare without the additional home-cookin’ fat so I decided on an oven baked version of traditional fried chicken.  I also had recently purchased a personal favorite, and wonderfully versatile bunch of Sweet Potatoes that I love prepared simply.  Sweet Potatoes have this rich and complex flavor to them that just becomes increasingly more so in the oven.  I also have been getting experimental with Kale.  I am always striving to add more and more leafy, fibrous greens to my repertoire. 

As a true Thank You gesture, I also decided I could simplify the two compliments to my chicken recipe and allow myself the chance to indulge in a nutritious dessert as well. I found an old recipe for Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread and used that as a jumping off point for a new creation of my own.  Just picturing a little New England seaport, with small family run boutiques, bakeries, and cafes serving mostly couples away for an extended weekend of romance was enough inspiration to come up with an indulgent sweet treat.


In design my meal would be a wholesome, healthy yet substantial meal with some Faith Kitchen flare, I then assessed my needs to get there.  I knew I had just purchased fresh Kale, and Sweet Potatoes and something told me to pick up a small cut of Gruyére Cheese, another of my favorite things.  Gruyere is a type of Swiss cheese in origin, yet it is remarkably similar to the French Beaufort in flavor and texture.  It has a naturally salty flavor to it, while also creamy and nutty, gaining more complexion as it ages.  I have paired this with Sweet Potatoes in the past and decided the match was meant to be.  I also knew that I had to experiment further with Kale, instead of simply stuffing it in my pita pocket sandwiches, or wilt over pasta, rice and barley dishes.  I decided to try a method my Mom introduced me to last Mother’s Day.  She called them Kale Chips, and I remember they were simple, tasty and quick … so off to research and experiment I would go!

For the chicken, I used a mixture of Plain and Panko breadcrumbs.  Plain tend to stick better than Panko, yet I just love the crunchy and hearty texture of the Panko so I thought I would play with combining the two.  I also added Herbes De Provence to fill the house with enchanting aromas and add to the already tender cut of chicken thighs.  I deboned and trimmed the fat to ensure even cooking and subtract some excess fat from an already fairly calorie-dense cut of poultry. 

Since I allowed myself the thought and mindfulness to use what I already had, I only had to purchase 2 ingredients on my way home from the office:  Chicken Thighs and Applesauce … or so I thought!  Midway through my prep, I realized I had no Cooking Spray left, and fortunately John was en route to the hardware store next to a grocery store and I caught him in time!  It wouldn’t have been the end of the world, but every little healthy bit helps.  I was pleased to know I had set aside the time to really enjoy the process of creating something special for myself and share it.  I started with the muffins, as I let the chicken rest and I played with additions and alterations as I studied the old fashioned Maine recipe.  I knew I wanted to do muffins instead of a loaf of bread, and that I wanted a lighter version, however I wanted something really special so I decided to add Chocolate Chips and Walnuts to the equation and I substituted the vegetable oil for a mixture of Canola Oil and Applesauce.  I did a small batch at a time to ensure texture and moisture.  I was so very lucky to hit the mark the first time, and after seeing the empty tray in the lunchroom of my office today, I can say the majority agrees with at least the muffins: Greatness Achieved!

Now for my boneless chicken thighs to begin their journey into Faith’s Anti-Fried Chicken!!  Breaded chicken is probably the best sort of example for not taking shortcuts there might be in the kitchen.  There is no way around it, to make a crispy coated breaded cut of chicken whether you fry or bake, its going to be messy and have a lot of steps.  In my opinion, baking it isn’t only healthier it does help eliminate some of the mess as well, but you still have to do it right.  This means 3 steps to coating, not including anything you want to add to your flour or breadcrumbs.  This means whisking eggs, dredging in flower, greasing the pan and carefully handling the chicken.  It’s a labor, but I believe a labor that should only be borne of love.  So if you really won’t enjoy a thing about the process, then when you assessed your wants and needs, I would hope breaded chicken didn’t come up in your checklist.  Once the pan, now sprayed with organic cooking spray, was lined with beautifully breaded chicken thighs I could start the simple sides to compliment.  I like to let the chicken rest after breaded just about 10 minutes or so to let the coating really set.  This was perfect timing to prepare the Sweet Potatoes.  Simply sliced thin, layered with Saigon Cinnamon and Sea Salt, then drizzled very lightly with Macadamia Nut Oil (can use Olive or Almond), and topped with freshly grated Gruyere, this came together in no time and both dishes could be placed in the oven together.

It actually worked out so the first batch of muffins was ready as the Chicken and Gratin went into the same degree oven.  The Gratin cooks for 25-30 minutes, and in its place goes the Kale which is arranged simply on a baking sheet tossed with minimal Olive Oil and sprinkled with Sea Salt for the remaining 10-15 minutes of the chicken cooking.

As most of this meal was experimental, yet I allowed myself to look at what I wanted and set aside what I needed to do it, I find it really amazing how everything came together perfectly and felt almost effortless as well as perfectly timed.  I have found this true for most things in life, that when we force things without the right motive, or we just wait around expecting things to take care of themselves we miss the chance to truly experience doing something great and enjoying every minute of it!


Every so often, you get gifts for your journey.  The one I got was my little brother stopping over, and having enough for him to enjoy also.  It was his birthday and I have to admit I lost track of the date, I was able to save some face and treat him to what was most likely his 2nd dinner of the day, and send him home with some muffins too!  I was gifted the chance to not be a crummy sister and have a birthday meal ready for my brother.  I also had a card and a gift handy too, but that’s because I spend too much money at gift and card shops.   And now to the recipes .....



Faith’s Anti-Fried Chicken
4-6 Chicken Thighs  Trimmed, Deboned
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
2-3 Eggs Beaten
¾ Cup Plain Bread Crumbs
¾ Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
Organic Canola or Olive Oil Cooking Spray


Preheat Oven to 350°F
Grease 9x11” Glass Baking pan with Cooking Spray
Place Flour, Bread Crumbs and Eggs in separate bowls for coating prep


One by one, take chicken and dredge into Flour first, then Egg Wash, and finally Breadcrumbs to coat evenly.

Line pan with coated chicken and let rest for 10-15 minutes before placing into preheated oven.  This allows coating to set and stick to the chicken more evenly with less crumbles.


Bake for a total of 40-45 minutes.  At 30 minutes, turn chicken to other side for remaining time.  Always check the thickest part of largest piece of chicken for doneness.  Let rest 5-10 minutes before serving.



Simple & Sweet Gruyére Gratin
1-2 Sweet Potatoes (Yams)
1/3 Cup Gruyére Cheese, Grated (Can use discretion here)
Sea Salt and Saigon Cinnamon to taste
½ Tbsp Macadamia Nut Oil (Almond or EVOO okay too)


Preheat Oven to 350°F
Slice Sweet Potatoes into thin ‘chips’


Lightly toss with Oil until coated evenly
Layer overlapping into an 8” square glass baking pan until bottom is covered.  Sprinkle evenly with Sea Salt and Cinnamon, Grate Gruyére over layer until just covered (a little goes a long way). Repeat 1-2 more times until remaining Sweet Potatoes are used.  Can make as many layers as you like, just keep the layers themselves thin and even.  This is a rich, flavorful side, and is a bit calorie dense so I usually do no more than 3 layers of potatoes.


Bake Covered with foil for 18 minutes, can remove foil for last 2 minutes.  20 minutes total.  Let rest for 5 minutes before cutting into squares and serve.


Baked Kale Krisps
1 Bunch Kale
½-1Tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp Sea Salt

Preheat Oven to 350°F


Remove Kale from thick center stems with a knife, shears or your hands, and cut into small bite sized pieces.  Toss with Oil on a baking sheet or cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt.  Can line with Parchment Paper for easier cleanup.

Bake for 10-15 minutes.  Serve Immediately.



Downeast Maine Pumpkin Muffin Love Affair
This is a lot of love, made about 22 muffins, so you can cut if you want a more intimate encounter.

1 Can Pumpkin Puree (15 oz)
4 Eggs
1/3 Cup Canola Oil
2/3 Cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
2/3 Cup Water
3 Cups Sugar
3 ½ Cups Unbleached All Purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 ½ tsp Salt
½ Tbsp Pure Vanilla Extract
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Nutmeg
½ tsp Ginger
1 Cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
2/3 Cup Walnuts Roughly Chopped


Preheat oven to 350°F   Grease Muffin Pans with Cooking Spray/Oil and Flour or line with cupcake cups.
In a large bowl, combine Pumpkin, Eggs, Oil, Applesauce, Vanilla, Water and Sugar until well blended.  Will be a loose liquid consistency.


In another bowl, whisk Flour, Baking Soda, Salt, Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Ginger.  Stir Dry mix into Pumpkin mixture until just blended.


Add Chocolate and Walnuts. 


Spoon mixture into prepared pan and fill almost to the top.  Bake for 35-40 minutes in oven. 



Test with a toothpick, muffins are done when toothpick in center comes out clean.

Pretty tasty Thank You for much appreciated house rennovations!

No comments:

Post a Comment