Monday, April 4, 2011

Meatless Monday and Music

Woke up this morning with music ringing in my head, and happily turned the thermostat to Off mode.  Forecast for today high of 75°F and sunny!  Time to take advantage and get up and running after indulging in a workout free weekend of musical escapades.


If you haven’t already I have to insist that you check out A Silent Film, a truly inspired band of merry men who hail from Oxford, England and have the fantastic accents to prove it!  I had the fortunate happenstance to pick up a pair of tickets and took a friend and favorite photographer who I feel I am forever giving free plugs to, Dennis (check out his work, top notch!).  The band is wrapping up a short tour with Civil Twilight, known for their single Letters From the Sky.  While often mistaken for fellow Brits, Civil Twilight is a band of two brothers and a lifelong friend all from South Africa.  You can hear the influences clearly as they come across immediately a youthful U2 incarnate with hints of The Verve, The Police, Radiohead and Muse.  Certainly this trio spent the majority of their youth listening and learning from the sounds of the UK.  The clever choosing of the name, and the haunting vampish looks of the lead vocalist have provided Civil Twilight with a marketability that crosses over with the Tween Vampire lovers (as well as their moms) whom could be seen and heard squealing whenever Steven McKellar (lead vocals) thrust himself into the audience for an ‘intimate song’.  The talent of the trio was quite impressive I have to say, as they’re stylings are identical whether listening to the album or from the back of the concert hall.  I personally found kid brother Andrew really impressive, he starts out playing his guitar with the bow of a cello and evolved later into speed thrashings and a gentle non-chalant toss of the instrument in true ‘rockstar’ fashion.  The drummer, Richard Wouters, in his proper sportscoat and Dapper Dan hairstyle seemed a bit stifled during the more mellow numbers, but really let himself at it by the end of the show.  He reminded me of a young Charleton Heston and I have to say, I think frontman Steven could let us all have a little more face time with Richard.
Richard Wouters doing his thing
I got a really cool surprise after seeing both bands at the TLA on Saturday night.  You would think a light dinner and margaritas at Xochitl followed by a great show around the corner would be a killer weekend right there.
Located @ 2nd & South Street
Turns out the same bands were touring and playing a teenie tiny venue in Annapolis, Maryland called Ram’s Head, voted Worlds #1 music venue for under 500 people.  Today is the hubby's birthday and he was a little bummed he didn’t get to see A Silent Film on Saturday, since he and I rarely ever find ourselves liking the same band without really trying to talk the other one into it.  John and his best friend usually celebrate their birthdays together and had plans to do so Saturday.  I suggested that maybe they would be playing somewhere nearby since they are touring, in the next few days.  We had already planned on Sunday brunch, and since Ram’s Head has just about the best Brunch and Bloody Mary bar in Annapolis, it was a no brainer. 

After a light run in the morning, we were off to the quaint little harbor city of Annapolis.  I fell in love with this little port last summer with my best girlfriend, we went for a wine festival and stayed the night enjoying some live music, ice cream on a bench, and some really interesting conversation with our water taxi-driver.  I was so sad I didn’t have my camera with me on that trip, the colorful beachy townhomes and storefronts just lit up my eyeballs, and I could wait to show John the little treasures I had come across then.
I knew this show was going to be intimate, but I wasn’t ready for just how so!  There were a total of 115 tables to wine and dine at while enjoying the show.  There were 3 tables between us and the band.  It was amazing!  I even got the guts to approach them and tell the lead singer how impressed I was with both shows!  A Silent Film is definitely my favorite of the two, though they have some work to do on perfecting their live sound, the lead Robert Stevenson more than makes up for this with his Broadway style stage presence.  His vocal range was all over the board, and the piano oh the piano, truly magical.  I really recommend buying their album The City that Sleeps, you can hear some influence of Coldplay, Radiohead in that you hear the classic styles of Piano and Jazz mixed with almost psychedelic modern melodies.  I again, was impressed by the drummer, it was impossible to keep up with the speed and precision of Spence Walker.  If I wasn’t a fan before this weekend, they had me at ‘Ello’!  John even scored an autograph from Robert. 
It was a bit peculiar to leave a rock concert brunch in a dim venue into the bright midst of Sunday, however it was a good kind of peculiar.  The weather was just perfect for a walk around the main strip of shops and restaurants.
From a tasting tour of microbrews from Ram’s Head Tavern on the heated patio, to a Tea Tasting at one of cutest tea shops I have ever been to, we really just meandered around soaking in the day.


John couldn’t resist doing some bike tricks with the local BMX bike teens by the water, and was quite proud of himself for not ‘biting it’ in front of the local youth. 
Of course I found the local comic book store, but didn’t venture in this time, as I spent a good amount of time last trip much to Kati’s dismay and annoyance!
All in all I haven’t had such a picture perfect day of impulsive fun in a while lately, with so much going on.  It was very much welcomed and appreciated, and I wasn’t even the birthday girl!


So today, I am just a bit lazy in the kitchen department, so I decided to make myself a simple favorite for Meatless Monday.  This also is wetting my appetite to gear up for Cinco De Mayo in Faith’s Kitchen.  Details are coming this week  so stay tuned!!!!!

Faith’s Festive Black Bean Tortilla Wrap

1 Cup Canned Black Beans, rinsed and drained
1 Haas Avocado, Cubed
1/3 Cup Diced Red Onion
½ Cup Diced Tomatoes
½ Cup Toasted Yellow Corn (I use frozen organic and toast on dry hot pan for 1-2 minutes)
¼ Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro
Juice from half of Lime
2 Flour Tortillas Toasted on both sides lightly so warm but still bends easily.

Mix together Black Beans, Avacado, Onion, Tomatoes, Corn, Cilantro and Lime gently in medium bowl.  Add Salt or Pepper to taste.  Spoon mixture into Tortillas and fold sides and roll into a closed wrap or can leave one side open. 
Can serve with light sour cream if you like.  This mixture is bursting with flavor and fiber and if you eat one, wait before indulging in a second as you should feel full from the first if you let yourself digest.  Share with a friend for lunch!!

No comments:

Post a Comment